In recent years, dual-screen laptops have become necessary for many professionals, especially those with jobs. Whether you are an artist, a businessman, a traveler, a filmmaker, a doctor, a student, or a gamer, these dual-screen laptops are extremely useful. The second screen helps maximize your interaction with the interface because it allows you to interact more naturally. These laptops are also convenient for navigating meeting rooms and conferences where we use multiple applications and windows.
The laptop with dual screens also provides better quality images with 4K UHD and FHD display during your entertainment time. In this article, we have reviewed the Best Dual Screen Laptops that are perfect for different professions. We will also guide choosing the best dual-screen laptops based on a few important considerations in this article. So, without any further delay, let’s get started!
Also Read: Best Laptops for Watching Movies
Advantages & Disadvantages of Dual Screen Laptops
Dual-screen laptops, also known as dual-display laptops or laptops with secondary screens, are an emerging trend in the world of portable computing. These innovative devices offer users the ability to multitask and enhance productivity by providing an additional display for various purposes. In this article, we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of dual-screen laptops in detail.
- Increased Productivity: One of the primary advantages of dual-screen laptops is the potential for increased productivity. With two screens, users can have multiple applications or documents open simultaneously, reducing the need to switch between tabs or windows. This feature is especially useful for professionals, content creators, and multitaskers who often work with multiple tools or references simultaneously.
- Enhanced Multitasking: Dual-screen laptops enable efficient multitasking. Users can dedicate one screen to their primary task while using the secondary screen for auxiliary functions such as email, chat applications, social media, or reference materials. This setup eliminates the need to constantly minimize or resize windows, leading to a seamless workflow.
- Improved Workflow: Dual-screen laptops offer an enhanced workflow, particularly for creative professionals like graphic designers, video editors, and programmers. These users can dedicate one screen to the main workspace, such as the editing canvas or coding environment while utilizing the secondary screen for toolbars, palette windows, or code references. This arrangement allows for a clutter-free primary workspace, leading to improved efficiency.
- Increased Screen Real Estate: Dual-screen laptops provide a significant boost in screen real estate compared to traditional laptops. This extra space can be utilized for various purposes, such as viewing large spreadsheets, comparing multiple documents side by side, or editing images with a full-sized preview while keeping the editing tools visible on the secondary screen. The expanded workspace enhances visibility and reduces the need for excessive scrolling or zooming.
- Versatility and Flexibility: Dual-screen laptops offer users a high degree of versatility and flexibility. The secondary screen can be adjusted to different positions, such as folding it flat against the primary screen, using it in tent mode, or even detaching it to use as a standalone tablet. These configurations provide users with more options for consuming content, presenting information, or interacting with touch-based applications.
- Collaboration and Presentations: Dual-screen laptops can facilitate collaboration and presentations. With the secondary screen, users can display content for others to view while simultaneously working on their primary screen. This feature is advantageous in scenarios where team members need to share information, review documents, or present slides without interrupting their primary workflow.
- Increased Cost: Dual-screen laptops tend to be more expensive than their traditional counterparts due to the added hardware components, such as the secondary display, hinge mechanism, and additional processing power required to drive both screens. The higher price point can be a deterrent for budget-conscious consumers, especially if the dual-screen functionality is not essential for their needs.
- Weight and Bulkiness: Dual-screen laptops are generally heavier and bulkier compared to traditional laptops. The additional display and supporting components contribute to increased weight and thickness, making them less portable and convenient for users who prioritize mobility. Carrying a dual-screen laptop for extended periods or frequent travel may become cumbersome.
- Battery Life: The dual-screen configuration requires more power to drive both displays simultaneously, leading to increased energy consumption. As a result, battery life on dual-screen laptops tends to be shorter compared to traditional laptops. Users may find themselves needing to recharge more frequently or rely on a power source, limiting the device’s mobility and autonomy.
- Learning Curve: Adapting to a dual-screen setup may involve a learning curve for some users. The ability to effectively manage and utilize two screens simultaneously requires familiarization with new gestures, keyboard shortcuts, and software functionalities. Users who are accustomed to a single-screen workflow may initially find it challenging to make the most of the additional screen real estate.
- App Compatibility and Optimization: Dual-screen laptops heavily rely on software optimization and support from application developers to fully utilize their potential. Not all applications or software are designed to take advantage of dual-screen setups, which may lead to suboptimal experiences, stretched interfaces, or incomplete functionality on the secondary screen. Users may encounter compatibility issues or need to wait for software updates to leverage the dual-screen capabilities fully.
- Limited Use Cases: While dual-screen laptops offer versatility, their usefulness may vary depending on the user’s workflow and needs. Some users may find the secondary screen to be underutilized, especially if their tasks primarily involve single-window operations or do not require constant multitasking. In such cases, the additional screen real estate may not justify the added cost and bulkiness of a dual-screen laptop.
Best Dual Screen Laptops to Buy in 2023
Here is our list of the top 5 best dual-screen laptops that you can purchase right now in 2023:
1 Asus ZenBook Pro Duo 15 UX582 (Overall Best Dual Screen Laptop)
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX582 is a dual monitor laptop with a secondary 4K display called ScreenPad. This touch ScreenPad display is the major selling point of the Asus ZenBook Pro Duo. It features a primary 15.6-inch 4K OLED touchscreen with a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 pixels, an essential component for the working professional to run different applications, including 4K Video Editing, 3D rendering, Solidworks, Photoshop, AutoCAD, game development, and so on. It has an impressive design with a 100% DCI-P3 color gamut and an 89% screen-to-body ratio.
- Main Display: 15.6-inch 3840 x 2160p OLED Touch
- 2nd Display: 14-Inch 4K UHD Touch
- Processor: Intel Core i9-12900H
- Graphics: Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8GB VRAM
- RAM: 32GB LPDDR5
- Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
In addition, there is an additional 14-inch touchscreen panel that can display the entire app. The one-touch keyboard sequence, handwriting, application switcher, and task group for multitasking are some of the advanced features of the second screen. For performance, the laptop is powered by the Intel Core i9-12900H processor, the most powerful chip from Intel, with a base clock speed of 3.80GHz and goes up to 5.0GHz.
The laptop is loaded with a Nvidia RTX 3070Ti graphics card with a dedicated 8GB GDDR6 VRAM to control the graphics performance. In terms of memory, it adopts a massive 32GB of LPDDR5 RAM coupled with 1TB SSD storage to store large files. Altogether, with this laptop, you can store files of up to 1TB in size. It delivers fast and efficient performance, no matter if you are excited about multimedia projects or games. There is another variant of the same laptop with a slightly less powerful i7 processor. You can also choose that if you want to save some money without too much compromising on performance.
Besides, Harman Kardon Audio also provides an unforgettable multimedia experience. The laptop is designed with diamond-cut edges, spun metal designs, and a tough case that meets the military’s MIL-STD 810G standard. The device also comes with a built-in infrared camera and an Alexa with a light bar. The electrical shock device has a sky-blue tint and 0.94-inch thickness. Overall, this multi-screen laptop is an ideal choice for both professionals and high-end gameplay.
2ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 (Best Dual Screen Gaming Laptop)
If you’re searching for a high-end gaming laptop with dual displays, the ASUS Rog Zephyrus Duo 16 is one of the best options on our list. It has a ROG ScreenPad Plus secondary display with strong components that ensure AAA game compatibility. At the front portion, it has a 16-inch QHD+ 2560 x 1600p primary Mini OLED display at a 165Hz refresh rate and 100% Adobe RGB coverage. The second screen is built into the upper part of the keyboard panel and has a 14-inch touchscreen with 3840 x 1100 pixels.
- Main Display: 16-inch 2560 x 1600 p FHD (165Hz)
- Secondary Display: 14-Inch 4K UHD Touch
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX
- Graphics: Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8GB VRAM
- RAM: 32GB DDR5
- Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
The AMD Ryzen 9 6900X and Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070Ti graphics card enhance their performance. The chipset is one of the best offerings from AMD, with a base clock speed of 3.3GHz, which goes as high as 4.9GHz while running in burst mode. More importantly, it is designed on a highly power-efficient 6nm processing node to reduce power consumption without affecting the overall performance. Other than that, the top-end RTX 3070Ti GPU includes an insane 8GB GDDR6X VRAM, which handles every graphic so smoothly.
Furthermore, the system has 32GB of DDR5 RAM and 1TB of configuration storage for a good gaming experience. The Zephyrus Duo 16 is slimmer and lighter than its predecessor, as well as more compact. It is a portable and easy-to-carry device. It also includes a 90Wh battery, providing it reliable and long-lasting even on the job. In addition, it includes an impressive liquid metal cooling function and an excellent heat dissipation design, just like many gaming consoles. Additional features include ESS Sabre HiFi Audio, which can be played in different settings efficiently.
The product measures approximately 1.25 x 14 x 10.5 inches (HWD) and weighs more than 5 pounds. However, the cost is the only disadvantage of this laptop. It is the most expensive 4K screen model on our list. However, most AAA games are compatible with the ROG ScreenPad Plus display, and it is loaded with powerful specifications to provide an extremely seamless gaming experience.
3ASUS Zenbook Pro 14 Duo (Mid-Range Dual Screen Laptop)
If you need an affordable dual-screen laptop, the ASUS Zenbook Pro 14 Duo could be an excellent choice. It has a secondary touchscreen that is integrated with the main 14.5-inch FHD display. This is a high-quality touchscreen panel, which offers super smooth 120Hz touch responsiveness. The secondary ScreenPad panel brings a comparatively smaller 12.7-inch screen with 4K UHD resolution. By utilizing both screens, this laptop will increase your productivity and efficiency while working.
- Main Display: 14.5-inch 2880 x 1800p FHD Touch
- Secondary Display: 12.7-Inch 4K UHD Touch
- Processor: Intel Core i9-13900H
- Graphics: Nvidia RTX 4050
- RAM: 32GB DDR5
- Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
Moreover, the laptop is driven by the 13th gen Intel Core i9-13900H processor, 8GB of RAM, and 1TB of SSD storage. It has a dedicated Nvidia RTX 4050 GPU that provides a smooth visual experience. The Harman Kardon audio system is also another major feature of this laptop. This ASUS Zenbook Pro 14 Duo laptop configuration is perfect for both work-related tasks and multimedia activities. It also includes an ergonomic backlit keyboard with various advantages, such as a more comfortable typing experience.
The military standard laptop (MIL-STD-810G) is lightweight and thin, weighs only 3.3 pounds, and measures 0.78 inches thick. The machine has a striking metal finish, rugged materials, a similar tactile keyboard, and a coveted aesthetic. A nearly 90% screen-to-body ratio remains an attractive option for modern users. Besides, it has all the essential ports, including HDMI 1.4, 2 x Thunderbolt 4 Type-C USB ports, 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port, and suitable onboard audio, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth support.
4ASUS ZenBook Duo UX482 (Cheapest Dual Screen Laptop)
If you are on a tight budget, this option is perfect for you. The Asus Zenbook Duo UX482 is priced at a reasonable price range, but it comes with slightly older hardware being a predecessor of UX482. But don’t bother about its performance; the laptop generates seamless performance. Talking about its specifications in detail, the laptop is powered by the 11th generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor, a quad-core CPU with a base clock speed of 2.4 GHz. Like other Intel CPUs, it supports the Turbo Boost technology to boost the clock speed up to 4.20GHz.
- Main Display: 14-inch 1920 x 1080p FHD Touch
- Secondary Display: 12.6-Inch 4K UHD
- Processor: Intel Core i5-1135G7
- Graphics: Intel Iris XE Graphics G7
- RAM: 8GB DDR4
- Storage: 512GB NVMe SSD
Thanks to the Intel Iris XE Graphics G7, it performs very well in graphics performance. However, there is no dedicated memory, but an integrated GPU is sufficient to control basic tasks. As usual, the key highlight of this laptop is its dual-display monitors. The primary display arrives with a 14-inch touchscreen panel with 1920 x 1080p resolution. It is a mind-boggling screen with an edge-to-edge design, and the company claims to offer a nearly 90% screen-to-body ratio, which is amazing for a laptop.
This frameless display further arranges a secondary panel named “ScreenPad” with a 12.6-inch 4K UHD touchscreen. Eventually, it is useful for creative people and content creators to increase productivity. Altogether, the utilization of dual-screen mechanisms is supported by strong build quality. The device is made of a strong metal unibody construction certified by the MIL-STD-810G military-grade standards. Undoubtedly, this is a rough and tough body that lures the mind at first glance.
Moreover, the device packs 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB SSD storage. The combination provides additional support to enhance performance and provide space to store important data. Overall, it is a very well-placed laptop and gives great value for every penny you spend on this. But it is not made for universal usage; only specific people can take advantage of dual-screen functionality. So, you should batter to stay away if you don’t know how to capitalize on the dual-screen design. You can get better options around the $1000 price range where this laptop is placed.
5Asus ZenBook Pro Duo 15 UX581 (Best Selling Dual-Screen Laptop)
If you want something powerful in a budget segment, you should look at the Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX581. This is the best-selling dual-screen laptop with powerful hardware under the hood. The laptop is powered by the i7-10750H processor, which belongs to the Intel 10th generation lineup. The chipset adopts a powerful Hexa-core CPU with 12 threads. With these cores, you will get up to a 5.0GHz clock speed boost. As we know, a powerful CPU also requires a powerful GPU to work fluently. As a result, it packs the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card. This GPU has a dedicated 8GB VRAM to handle the graphics-intensive workload.
- Display: 15.6-inch 4K UHD Touchscreen
- 2nd Display: 14-Inch 4K UHD Touch
- Processor: Intel Core i7-10750H
- Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB VRAM
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
Furthermore, the front side is surrounded by a 15.6-inch 4K OLED panel with a 3840 × 2160 resolution having a 16:9 aspect ratio and thin bezels for an immersive feeling. Besides, it supports HDR 10 and 100% DCI-P3 color coverage. That means this is a very color-accurate display with brilliant contrast. Other than that, the second is a 14-inch IPS display with 3840 × 1100p resolution. The good thing about this panel is it has a matte finish to reduce light reflections. Meanwhile, both of them are touchscreens. Along with that, this laptop brings 16GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB Solid State Drive, which makes it super fast at multitasking.
Regarding the design, Asus has used aluminum on this laptop which makes it very durable but lightweight at the same time. On the side, there are all the essential ports, including Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C ports, HDMI, and a Gigabit Ethernet jack. Additionally, it has Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5 wireless connectivity features. Further, it adds an advanced camera with an IR sensor that supports Windows Hello for faster authentication. In terms of battery, it can easily last 5-6 hours on a single charge, which is a good thing for a laptop with power-hungry components installed inside. With a price tag of $2000, it provides good value, and it is one of the key reasons behind making it the best-selling dual-screen laptop.
6HP Omen X 2s (Alternative Dual Screen Gaming Laptop)
The HP OMEN X 2S is another fantastic dual-screen laptop that offers fast charging up to 50% in 30 minutes. This feature helps you with the ability to play games wherever you want without connecting to a power source. It is equipped with an Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM, a 512GB SSD, and a Max-Q-designed NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card. NVIDIA G-SYNC ensures minimal tearing and maximum satisfaction, especially while playing multiple converted games simultaneously.
- Main Display: 15.6-inch 1920 x 1080p FHD (144Hz)
- Secondary Display: 5.98-Inch FHD IPS Touch
- Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H
- Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB VRAM
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- Storage: 512GB NVMe SSD
The main display of the dual-screen notebook HP Omen X 2S is a 15.6-inch full HD resolution LCD panel. The primary display supports a 144Hz refresh rate and a micro-edge design for optimal immersion. This slim and smart device (5.18 pounds, 0.78 inches) has a secondary 5.98-inch touchscreen (1080p) that perfectly fits the primary FHD display. It’s also worth mentioning that the second screen is fully functional and not tilted. The specs of this HP dual-screen laptop are moderate, but the second monitor is still incredibly bright and feels gorgeous when used for additional material.
The excellent speaker configuration created by Bang & Olufsen is another valuable feature of the 2S. With its strong frame, tactile RGB backlit keyboard, and thermal design that meets its requirements, you’ll be hard-pressed to be unhappy with your laptop’s actual life. Overall, this is a strong two-screen gaming laptop. The main problem with the OMEN X 2S is that its specs are not updated. Still, it is a good option for different competitive games.
7Lenovo ThinkBook Plus(Optional)
The Lenovo ThinkBook Plus is a decent laptop for professionals who simultaneously handle multiple tasks with colleagues in the current market. This innovative 2-screen laptop is built with a 13.3-inch full HD display and a 10.8-inch e-ink display. With this display, you will be able to take notes directly on the cover. It is also possible to synchronize OneNote to convert your notes into charts and text. The second screen is an attractive full HD electronic ink touch screen. Due to its FHD resolution, IPS panel, and good contrast/color gamut, both displays are appropriate for displaying all types of content.
- Main Display: 13.3-inch 1920 x 1080p FHD
- Secondary Display: 10.8-Inch e-ink FHD Touch
- Processor: Core i7 i7-10510U
- Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- Storage: 512GB NVMe SSD
It also has a camera shutter and TPM chip, as it is devoted to providing a secure user experience. At the same time, the HD webcam is useful for video conferencing, streaming, and working from home. Those looking for a business laptop should consider the Plus specification. This laptop is also a good choice for an average user because it comes with noticeable improvements. This product comes with additional benefits, such as an integrated Alexa and fingerprint reader. It comes with a Core i7-10510U CPU, 16 GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. All these configurations are ideal for general use, advanced office applications, and multitasking.
Moreover, the device comes with a wide range of WiFi connectivity. There are three USB ports and some other useful ports, such as an HDMI for quick configuration of external displays. It works with 1 Lithium-ion battery that is also included in the package. The laptop is lightweight and convenient to carry because it uses only one battery. Overall, this is an outdated machine, which is barely available to purchase in the market. The only reason to buy this laptop might be curiosity to test out unique products—otherwise, no need to waste your hard-earned money if you are looking for regular tasks.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Dual-screen Laptop in 2023?
Buying a laptop with two screens is not an easy task for beginners. Professionals believe that a powerful laptop is beneficial for both working at home and office. There are several differences between business laptops and regular laptops; however, choosing the best laptop is not different. This section will discuss some important factors that need to be considered before purchasing a laptop for professional use.
The build quality of any laptop is an important factor to consider before purchasing it for business or educational purposes. The user pays special attention to the physical lifespan of the new device when purchasing an innovative new laptop. Materials, parts, and the display of a laptop are significant factors when evaluating its quality.
We also consider the ergonomics of laptops when determining the quality of the material. It is also important to examine the feel and responsiveness of the keyboard and the pressure sensitivity of the touch screen.
The speed and performance of a laptop is other key aspects that we need to consider. The use of a fast processor and a sufficient amount of RAM (at least 8GB) will help you compose good notes in class or in business meetings.
Depending on its intended use, you should purchase a laptop with either a large or a less large display.
- An 11-inch or 12-inch laptop is a very light and portable laptop, but they are really very small and may not be very comfortable visually.
- The 13.3-inch, 14-inch, and 15.6-inch laptops are surely the best, as they strike a balance between visual comfort, power, and mobility.
- Finally, the 17.3-inch ones are almost discarded for being excessively heavy and bulky.
Many services offer cloud storage services in the current digital era, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or iCloud, so the hard drive size is less important. However, it is always recommended to have enough space for your most valuable files to ensure that they are backed up on two media: physical and in the cloud. It is important always to ensure that your laptop has the option to expand its internal hard drive.
Autonomy & Weight
If you are a student and carrying a laptop to class every day, you are well-advised to choose one that is relatively light since your back will appreciate it. Our recommendation is to purchase a laptop that is less than two kilograms in weight. You should select a laptop whose battery life is sufficient to allow it to be used during all classes and on trips from home to your study center. We recommend that your laptop last for approximately seven hours.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the benefits of a second screen?
If you are working with your laptop, sometimes you will need to add some notes; a second screen provides help in this situation. The second screen is good for both students and business people. You can use it to take notes in class or in meetings.
Are dual-screen laptops good?
Dual-screen laptops are ideal for gamers, students, and business professionals. A secondary screen will benefit the users by enabling them to optimize their interaction with the interface. The user can navigate meetings at work and interact with multiple apps and windows.
In conclusion, dual-screen laptops provide a range of advantages such as increased productivity, enhanced multitasking, improved workflow, increased screen real estate, versatility, and collaboration capabilities. However, they also have drawbacks including increased cost, weight and bulkiness, reduced battery life, a learning curve, app compatibility challenges, and limited use cases.
When considering a dual-screen laptop, it is crucial to evaluate these factors based on individual needs, work requirements, and budget constraints to determine whether the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
I hope you like this article on the best dual-screen laptops. Our team picks all the models based on specifications, build quality, and display resolution. If you are still confused and wish to see our recommendations, the following products are our top picks.
- Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX582 is the top pick of this article because it is suitable for all professional activities and high-end gaming. This laptop is perfect for normal power users as well as business professionals. The laptop is backed by the most powerful Intel Core i9 chipset combined with RTX 3070 graphics.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 is the ideal option if you are looking for a gaming multi-screen laptop. It offers Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070Ti graphics that will enable you to enjoy high-quality graphics while playing high-resolution games.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article and recommend it to your friends searching for a double-screen laptop.